Thank you for your interest in becoming a member of Portland Mountain Rescue! In order to join our team, you will need to fill out an application, return it to us and be accepted for review by the PMR Membership Committee. Complete instructions are below…
The PMR Membership Committee evaluates all applications to ensure that prospective members have the skills and motivation to contribute to the Unit. A Committee member will directly contact those persons that meet the established membership standard. Because of the vast differences between sport/adventure climbing and technical mountain rescue work, we want to make sure that potential Trainees understand the additional physical and mental demands of the latter. Potential Associates are evaluated based on the specific contribution that they can make. It is important that a position exists within PMR for an Associate to fill.
Trainee level members, once accepted into the Unit, are initially non-deployable (not allowed to participate in search and rescue missions). The new member is expected to attend regular training sessions and meet the requirements for field deployability before January of the year following acceptance. This process is an excellent opportunity to get to know members of the team and to participate in some challenging training and climbing experiences prior to their inclusion in a search and rescue mission.
Trainee applicant orientation is held in late July of even-numbered years and all accepted Trainee applicants are strongly encouraged to attend. Applicant field tryouts will be held in August. Board acceptance of new Trainees will occur in early September. The two-year Training Academy begins shortly thereafter.
For both Trainee and Associate level applicants, please follow these steps:
(1) Download, print and legibly fill out the application forms in black or blue ink. A Word or PDF format are available.
(2) TRAINEE LEVEL ONLY: Attach a $30.00 check made out to Portland Mountain Rescue to cover the cost of the training manual. This fee will be refunded if you are not accepted into the unit.
- Trainee Level applications will only be accepted prior to July 15 of even-numbered years.
- If your application is accepted for consideration you will be invited to an all-day Field Trial held on August 13th, 2016 at Timberline. This session is Mandatory for those seeking to be admitted into PMR’s Trainee program.
(3) Return the completed application and check (if applicable) to:
Portland Mountain Rescue
PO Box 5391
Portland, Oregon 97228-5391
If your application is accepted, we will be in contact with you in the near future. Thank you, once again, for your interest in Portland Mountain Rescue.